Tips That Can Help You To Clean Your Chimney
It is important to clean your chimney by removing creosote to prevent fires. Creosote is a hard substance that forms when smoke and moisture cools and clings on to the chimney walls. With time, creosote may even turn into a glaze that can only be removed by chemicals or through catalyst management services. Creosote can be dangerous, especially if the flow of air into the chimney is obstructed. In such cases, heat buildup in the chimney may cause fires. Here are a few tips that can help you get rid of creosote in your chimney.
First, buy creosote chemical catalyst in both powder and liquid form. There is a wide range of brands available in the market to choose from.
Put up a fire using only dry, seasoned wood. Ensure the fire temperature is at least 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a chimney thermometer to calculate the temperature. Once the temperature has hit 300 degrees, blow the powder chemical catalyst into the fireplace over the flames. Since each chemical catalyst is different, read and stick to the instructions on the label. In case of severe creosote, carry out this procedure for approximately two weeks.
For moderate creosote, perform this procedure for one week. Use a regular chimney brush to clean your chimney. The brush should effectively remove the creosote. However, if it does not, go over the process for an extra week. Once you have removed the creosote, pre-treat your wood using the liquid chemical catalyst before burning it in the chimney. Doing this will prevent potential creosote upsurge.
Once you have gotten rid of the creosote, ensure that your chimney has been checked for structural damage that might have been caused by the substance. Check for other things like excess moisture and draftiness, which increases the rate of creosote formation in the chimney. Always take caution when dealing with flames and chemicals. Prioritize safety and never leave fires unattended.
You can also deal with creosote by ensuring your fireplace damper is securely closed. Wait until the fire has died down and the damper has cooled before shutting it. Fitting a glass fire screen in your fireplace is another effective way to prevent creosote buildup. Consider buying a tight fitting glass fire screen.